The first reaction of anyone who saw my cake last week seemed to be “Oooh, Mint Aero!” So, knowing how much people love this chocolate bar gave me the idea for this recipe… I just knew Mint Aero Cheesecake would be a WIN.
This is a baked cheesecake, in keeping with every other cheesecake I’ve ever made. I don’t seem to have much success with things that require fridge time to ‘set’ such as an unbaked cheesecake. I think I’m just far too impatient to wait! At least with a baked cheesecake you can dive in once it’s chilled.
The slight complication (which anyone who has ever made a baked cheesecake will sympathise with) is how do you know when to take it out of the oven? Well, my ‘knights in shining armour’ from Buy Catering came to my rescue on this one as they sent me a wonderful Thermapen to review this week. Thermapens are widely regarded as the rolls-royces of food thermometers as they are super quick and very accurate. I loved using this and will use it for ALL baking from now on to be sure everything is baked to perfection!
The magic temperature for a cheesecake is 65.5ºC. Once the very centre reaches this temperature, it is cooked. If you heat it to more than 70ºC then the cheesecake will overcook and crack on top.
If you don’t have a thermometer then just cook it until the sides are puffy and golden and there is still a wobble in the center. If you overcook it a little and get a few cracks, don’t worry because the chocolate ganache hides a multitude of sins!
You will see that I cheat and leave the bottom of my tin on the cheesecake to serve. I always do this unless it’s a really posh event… It’s mainly because I’m such a wimp, really; I’m far too scared of ruining it by trying to take the bottom off.
OK, so I can hear you screaming at me for the recipe at this point so I’ll shut up and give it to ya! Don’t forget to share pics on my Facebook page or on Twitter if you make it, I’d love to see.
Mint Aero Cheesecake
A deliciously decadent Mint Aero cheesecake, topped with a chocolate ganache and finished with whipped cream and more crumbled Aero!
For the base:
- 150g chocolate digestive biscuits, crushed to a fine crumb
- 50g unsalted butter, melted For the cheesecake:
- 400g full fat cream cheese
- 150g sour cream
- 2 medium eggs
- 300g Mint Aero, melted For the ganache:
- 100g milk chocolate, chopped finely
- 100g double cream To finish:
- Approx 200g double cream, whipped until stiff
- A small handful of Mint Aero, chopped finely
1. Mix the chocolate digestive crumbs and melted butter together until a ‘wet sand’ consistency, then push down hard into the base of a greased and lined 20cm springform tin and place in the fridge. 2. Mix all the cheesecake ingredients except the chocolate together until smooth and lump-free, then stir in the melted chocolate until well combined. Pour over the chilled base.3. Bake in an oven preheated to 160ºC for around 45 minutes. It is done when the internal temperature of the very center is 65.5ºC or when the edges are puffed and brown and the center has a slight wobble. Once cooked, remove from the oven and run a knife around the edge of the tin to stop the sides from sticking. Leave to cool to room temperature.4. Whilst the cheesecake is cooling, make the ganache by pouring the double cream into a saucepan and heat until simmering. Pour this over the finely chopped chocolate and leave, without stirring, for 30 seconds to begin to melt. Stir SLOWLY until it all comes together into a lovely ganache. Stand to one side to cool.5. Once the ganache and cheesecake are at room temperature, pour the ganache over the cheesecake so that it is completely covered. It should be liquid enough to find its own level. Place in the fridge for AT LEAST 2 hours to chill.6. Top the chilled cheesecake with the whipped cream, piping if you feel like it. Sprinkle with the remaining Aero and serve!
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Around 8-10 portions, this is RICH!
For more delicious cheesecakes, check out these great blogger recipes:
- PSL Cheesecake from Cakeyboi
- Chocolate Cheesecake from Tinned Tomatoes
- Cosmocheese from Oh La Vache!
- Baked Cheesecake from Food Jam
- Baked Vanilla Cheesecake and Blueberry Cheesecake from The School Cook
- Cranberry Cheesecake Pies from BakingQueen74
Disclosure: I was sent the Thermapen by Buy Catering for free to review. I was not paid or required to write a positive review and any opinions expressed are my own.