So, last week here in the UK was Shrove Tuesday, which is also known as ‘Pancake Day!’ Whenever we have pancakes, I have to have one with lemon and sugar, another with bananas and cream and then my absolute favourite is one with cherries and cream.
This time of year, cherries are best from a tin so that’s what I used. The only problem is, I only actually used a few cherries out of the whole tin! As the week went on, I became more and more aware of these cherries sitting in a tub in the fridge and decided I MUST make something with them. Add in the leftover cherry cocoa powder from my Crackles last week and these brownies were born!
If you’d like to know more about the cocoa powder and icing sugar, take a look at this post.
Black Forest Brownies
A twist on the classic chocolate brownie, made extra tasty with chopped cherries and a delicious frosting.
1. Warm the chocolate and butter together in a microwave at a low setting until melted completely and set aside to cool down slightly. 2. Next, crack the eggs into the bowl of a mixer and add in the caster sugar. Beat the two together until the mixture doubles in size and becomes pale and frothy. Pour in the chocolate and butter mixture whilst mixing slowly and combine fully.3. Sift in the flour and cocoa and fold into the mixture, taking care to avoid knocking the air out. Add the cherries at the last minute and give the mixture a couple of turns to distribute them throughout.4. Pour into a prepared brownie tin and bake in the oven at 180ºC for 20-30 mins or until golden brown on top and mostly cooked inside. (Everyone has a different preference for their brownies, cook a bit less for a gooey centre and a bit longer for fully-cooked throughout.)5. Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin fully.6. Make the frosting by beating the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy.7. Cut into pieces, top with the frosting and scatter on any sprinkles you like; I used white chocolate stars. Enjoy!
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12 brownies.
For more tray-baked goodies, check out my board on Pinterest:
Follow Kevin Chambers-Paston’s board Tray all your bakes on me! on Pinterest.
I'm entering these brownies into the following blog challenges:
- Treat Petite by Cakeyboi and The Baking Explorer
- Credit Crunch Munch by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary, Fuss Free Flavours and Fab Food 4 All
- Love Cake by JibberJabberUK
- We Should Cocoa by Chocolate Log Blog and Recipe for Perfection
For more great chocolate brownies, check out:
- Creme Egg Chocolate Brownies from Fab Food 4 All
- Banana and Rum Chocolate Brownies from Anne's Kitchen
- Brownies from Happiness is Homemade
- Double Chocolate Fudgy Brownies from Munchies & Munchkins
- Slow Cooker White Chocolate Oreo Blondies from bakingqueen74
- Healthier Brownies With Cashew Nut Butter from Chocolate Log Blog
- Oreo Brownies from Little Sunny Kitchen