If you are a fan of baking and have an account on Twitter, chances are you already know about Sunday Bake Club. However, if you’ve been living under a rock or have just missed it somehow, you really should check it out! The basic idea is that we all come together to bake things on a Sunday. The SBC usually specify a theme for everyone to bake to and then everyone goes to town. As you’ll already know, I LOVE to bake anyway but I really enjoy the idea of everyone coming together and cooking to a theme on one day. It builds a real community on Twitter and I’ve met loads of fantastic bakers and bloggers though it.
Anyway, why am I going on about this baking club thingy? Well, today’s theme is chocolate and since I am a bit of a chocoholic I just HAD to take part today. So, whilst laying in bed this morning (I was awake extra early because of the clocks going back!) I devised a recipe for these gooey blondies. They’re like chocolate brownies but are made with white chocolate; my version contains macadamia nuts and is topped with a white chocolate ganache before being finished with a little flourish of dark chocolate and a few of the chopped nuts.
I’m afraid they look rather messy as I didn’t have quite enough time to let the ganache set properly as the light was fading fast and I wanted to get some half decent pics for you! I don’t really mind though, I like the oozing white chocolate and it helps to cover any imperfections.
White Chocolate & Macadamia Blondies
A twist on the classic chocolate brownie, these blondies contain white chocolate and have added macadamia nuts for crunch.
- 3 medium eggs
- 275g golden caster sugar
- 200g white chocolate
- 185g butter/baking spread
- 125g plain flour
- 100g macadamia nuts, chopped For the topping:
- 200g white chocolate
- 200g double cream
- A few macadamia nuts, chopped
- 50g dark chocolate (optional)
1. Start by making the ganache. To do this, chop the chocolate finely and place in a heat-proof bowl. Heat the cream in a saucepan until just boiling then remove from the heat. Once the cream stops boiling pour over the chocolate and DO NOT STIR for 30 secs. Begin to stir the mixture very slowly until all is combined then set aside to cool.2. Warm the chocolate and butter together in a microwave at a low setting until melted completely and set aside to cool down slightly. 3. Next, crack the eggs into the bowl of a mixer and add in the caster sugar. Beat the two together until the mixture doubles in size and becomes pale and frothy. Pour in the chocolate and butter mixture whilst mixing slowly and combine fully.4. Sift in the flour and fold into the mixture, taking care to avoid knocking the air out. Add the macadamia nuts at the last minute and give the mixture a couple of turns to distribute them throughout.5. Pour into a prepared brownie tin and bake in the oven at 180ºC for 20-30 mins or until golden brown on top and mostly cooked inside. (Everyone has a different preference for their blondies, cook a bit less for a gooey centre and a bit longer for fully-cooked throughout.)6. Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin fully.7. By now, the ganache should have cooled enough to pour over the blondies. Make sure it covers them well, then top with the chopped macadamia nuts and pop into the fridge for around an hour to set.8. Cut into pieces, then drizzle with melted dark chocolate if desired. Enjoy!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12 blondies
For more tray-baked goodies, check out my board on Pinterest: